Forced discipline. It's the only time I've really been successful at doing something hard....when I'm forced to.
1999-2002 We were forced to cut back our "do whatever we want, when we want" lifestyle when we went from 2 incomes to my income. We moved from Houston to Tallahassee. Matt was in grad school at FSU, I taught 2nd grade. Forced discipline. It was good for us. We didn't feel deprived, but we felt purposeful. Looking back now we had some of the best, frugal, fun times there. I think those 3 years living on my income really prepared us for years 2003-present, living on Matt's income, having 3 kiddos and still being frugal. Don't get me wrong, we always need a tune-up on finances, but having those 3 years where I was the breadwinner really led us to stay with that kind of lifestyle. And even though I do work (12 hours a week), I'm so thankful to get a paycheck and have my 2 out of 3 kids right down the hall from me. For me...it's the best of both worlds.
2004 - A friend of mine, leading an online Bible study group I was a part of, challenged us all to give up something that was taking up Bible study time or a negative habit, etc. and replace it with our Bible study. I chose to give up watching Days of Our Lives (something I had watched in college and began watching again while staying at home with Collin) and watching rated R movies (also a hard one to give up because I liked seeing the latest movies, the academy award winners, suspence, etc...most of which are rated R). And now...6 years later, neither of these are a temptation for me....forced discipline.
August 2010 - A horrible kidney infection hits me. I was told to cut out drinking Coke and OJ! What??? I drink OJ every morning and a Coke every day! I asked how long? How long do I go without either? Doctor: A long time. Me: A long time like a week? Doctor: A long time like a year. Me: A year? Doctor: You've got a sick kidney. You haven't treated it well. Give it a break and let it heal. Drink lots of water. So 3 weeks into this project...in fact 22 days...no coke, no OJ and I'm drinking lots of water. Do I feel better? Yes, no pain from the kidney. I've lost 5 pounds. But the Coke is still a temptation. Forced discipline.
September 2010 - I begin a Bible study called "Becoming a Woman of Simplicity". That is SO what I need right now. I'm excited about it. Now my group leader didn't ask me to cut out anything. But I've been thinking about what I spend time doing. My nightly routine involves checking email, facebook, reading blogs and maybe posting an update of my own. I LIKE knowing what others are doing. I know some of you blog friends better by blogging than by us just getting to know each other face to face. And there is certainly isn't anything wrong with that. I'm just going to use the next 11 weeks to NOT know people's FB status and to NOT know the latest fun thing going on with your kiddos via computer anyway. I'll probably ask you (in person), "How are you? What's going on in your life?" and really mean it! It's going to be hard. I like to know what's going on. But I feel cutting these 2 things out of my life (for 11 weeks anyway) will help me keep it simple. Some evenings both husband and I are sitting next to each other on the couch, each with a laptop, doing stuff on the computer - separately. Sometimes we say to each other...when did we become like this? When did it become OK for us to be in the same room for an hour but not speak to each other because we are so engaged in our laptop activities (me: FB, blogs; him: answering 50,000 student emails). It's not OK anymore. Forced discipline.
Based on my past experiences with "forced discipline" I feel I will only be blessed by this experiment. I'm excited about keeping things simple...or simpler at least. Blessings my blog friends. I'll see you in 11 weeks...maybe.
8 comments:
I will miss you, but you are doing it for a much worthier cause.
I will miss you too! I'm proud of you for taking charge of your health. Let me know all the things you get "done" with your new found time! Actually, I DO BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THINGS. So I bet you get a lot out of that time with 3 kiddos and a husband in your house!
Good for you, Alyssa...I feel a little challenged to make some sacrifices of my own. Thanks!
I agree with Sara, i feel a little challenged to get rid of some things too especially with heading back to work (Starbucks) after 9 glorious weeks of maternity leave! I know your time away from blogs and facebook will be blessed.
Way to go on giving up coke... such a hard addiction to break but once it is broken you can keep going!
Good for you! But, oh Alyssa, I'll miss reading your enjoyable posts! But, now I'll just make it a point to actually talk more with you about what's going on in your life!
You are wise beyond your years, and we could all learn from your accounts of "forced discipline." I so admire you for learning to live frugally so you can have more time with your family. And for now taking another look at what that family time is like these days. None of us can say we don't have time for this or that...it's how we choose to spend that valuable time that God has given us. Thanks for, by example, encouraging us to take a hard look at ourselves and our time.
I have been thinking along these lines as well. I know you'll be blessed! I kind of wish a doctor told me I couldn't eat ice cream anymore...
Post a Comment