Here are some of my notes from the Bible study I took...
Definition of a woman of simplicity: one who lives a God-paced life.
In order to become a woman of simplicity I must believe that I am saved by God's grace and can do nothing to obtain this gracious gift.
I challenged myself to leave empty pages on my calendar and by the end of the 11 weeks I had done a better job of not being "too busy".
If my service for the Lord does not spring from grace, than I become overly busy and stressed.
I cannot know God if I am rushing here and there, with countless calls pulling me in various directions.
Being "the answer is always YES" kind of girl, I still struggle with responding to all needs of friends, family, teaching Bible class, sewing capes, being on the PTO, chairing a committee, etc, etc, etc. But now I've realized that the best thing I can do for my family, my friends, and my church is to abide in Him. I can do that one thing and do it well.
Most of us are not consistant spiritually because we are more concerned about being consistant externally.
I may think I have true Christian love until someone offends me or treats me unjustly. It is my response to that person that shows my true character.
The bottom line is: I need to BE STILL AND KNOW that He is God. I have a hard time being still anyway and giving up control of something, even a worry, seems to be an on-going battle.
I will end with a few wonderful quotes...
William Morris said in 1877, "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." It's time for the McCooks to do some cleaning out.
A.W. Tozer said, "There are three marks of one who is crucified. One, he is facing in only one direction. Two, he can never turn back. And three, he no longer has any plans of his own."
Anne Morrow Lindburgh wrote "On a daily basis the good things - not the sordid and evil things - challenge my goal on becoming a woman of simplicity."
It was a fantastic 11 weeks. I loved getting to know the many new faces in the Bible study, many are from the community. I made progress. Maybe nothing changed outwardly but lots changed inwardly. And as the great Walt Disney said (he said many other profound things too, but this one from the movie "Meet the Robinsons" kept coming to mind), "Keep moving forward." That is what I will do.
Blessings my blog friends.
6 comments:
Thank you for sharing. It is a good reminder to us all!
Thanks for sharing!
That is great. I am thinking I'm going to have to get that book. Thanks for sharing!
Love this post! I, too, have been saying no and leaving my calendar more open.
I loved that study too. Thanks for the reminders!
Thanks for this. You are an inspiration!
Post a Comment