Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Lorries

A few weeks ago we made the trek to the zoo with some dear friends. I always ask the kiddos to tell me the ONE animal they must see or they will be so sad when we leave. On this day, Katie asked for the Lorries.
See she really wanted one to land on her. But I wasn't springing for the $3 tablespoon of bird juice. Nope. I kept telling her to be still and one would come near.
So our Mrs. Catherine saved the day when she did a bird transfer so Katie got to have a birdie on her!
She is so excited! And our sweet friend even go in on the Lorrie action.
And a note about myself: I do NOT like Lorries. When I taught 2nd grade science in Houston, at a prep school, so yes, we rotated classes and I taught all 2nd grade science! (It was so fun!) But when I taught 2nd grade science in Houston, I attended the first ever teacher camp at Sea World. And oh. my. word. it was eye-opening for many reasons. We were priviledged enough to get up at 5am and feed the animals! One of my animal rotations was with the Lorries. And when you come in with food, they WILL land on you. I had about 10 on me and a few on my head...I can still feel the little birdy feet scratching my scalp...disgusting! I think I might even have a fear of those birds now. This day at the zoo I wore a hoodie and had my hood up and tied tight around my face, I'm sure I looked adorable! But oh, the things we do for our kiddos, right?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish Ms. Catherine would have taken a picture of that. ;)

Marilyn said...

No picture of you w/ your hoodie? :-)

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Love that story!

Catherine said...

I think I DID take a picture of that, Sarah and Marilyn. I'll see if I can find it.
Alyssa! You did NOT tell me of the Lorrie-phobia! Although, it does explain the looks on your face a little better. :-) Brave Mama.
I'm working very hard to not feel inferior to your multiple posts in just a few days :-\ -- I feel MORE busy on Spring Break than I normally do! Very impressive.
For the record: LOVE the cakes, "Happy Bday C!", the rocks that are not a problem is something I will NEVER understand; and we had a good time at the Zoo too, even if the nasty/ adorable birdies peed on the stroller.

Mandy said...

I never go in with the birds. I just picture a shower of bird poop. Yuck. My poor kids don't even know you can buy bird juice.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I understand not being able to do certain animals. I can't do the snake house at the zoo.