Friday, March 6, 2009

Two movies banned from our household

Back in October we traveled to New Mexico for a history conference. We let the kids watch a few movies in the car and one was my old fave...The Parent Trap (the Hayley Mills version). Innocent, sweet, great family movie-ok, it is about divorce, broken homes and lies, but I thought it was a super movie when I was young. Well, my sweet boy learned how to "submarine" people from that movie. When we returned home, he waited until Katie was asleep at naptime and outlined her body in toothpaste on her bed and then proceeded to cut the backs off all of Katie's Madame Alexander Wizard of Oz dolls (the McDonald's versions, but still!) Yep, that's all in the movie.

Most recently, we took the Muppet Movie with us to go to Texas. Again, I think, a great, innocent, and sweet movie. Well, there is a line in the movie in which Kermit the Frog says "Read my lips: alligator." Well, Collin thought that line was hilarious and yeah, it's funny. UNTIL I hear him answer his Uncle Colt's question: "Read my lips: ______". I don't know what he said after "read my lips" but I was horrified!

We've had discussions about the submarining of people on Parent Trap and now the phrase "Read My Lips" from the Muppet Movie. But these discussions just seem to bring about laughter from both kids and I apparently am not getting the message across. So, I've decided, just today...no more Parent Trap and no more Muppet Movie.

8 comments:

Serena said...

that is funny! did you take a picture of the toothpaste incident? i hate that you have to ban a classic, many times we have watched that movie and i don't think doing any of those things ever crossed my mind....:)

Alyssa said...

I don't think I took a picture. But Katie in toothpaste in her bed is burned in my brain. When I get to scrapbooking Oct 08 I'll find out if I took a pic or not. I'm still in November 07.

Kayla said...

So it's a good idea that I still only show wiggles and baby einstein to my kids!!! I've branched out and showed Annie and Air Bud! So far nothing crazy but I will now be more aware!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

that is too funny! Sounds like what happened to me when I encouraged my daughter to watch "Dirty Dancing" a few years ago!(I mean the part about me thinking it was so good; not that she took up dirty dancing!)

Gena said...

Yeah. There's no way I want to hear "read my lips" coming out of either of my kids' mouths. We watch Annie, Chronicles of Narnia, and Nemo because that's what we have DVR'd. I need to find some new choices I think.

rebeckaoneal said...

so dont let them watch the cat in the hat JaySea has been going around all week saying " get your hands off me you dirty hoe" is they are talking about a garden hoe but you do not need your 4 year old talking about hoe's

kj said...

read my lips.......NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

Jenny Rizer said...

That is HILARIOUS!