Monday, May 30, 2011

Let's Explore Oklahoma - Part 1




Our family has lived in Oklahoma for 9 years now. And every summer we end up leaving the state to visit our family in Texas and go to another state for a vacation. This year we will go to Texas but we will also get to know Oklahoma. So when Frommers calls, I will have my Okie travel book ready...Let's Explore Oklahoma.


Part 1: Go to The Paseo Art Festival in Oklahoma City. Check.


(Pictures are NOT downloading so we will try those again later.)


Here is what we know about The Paseo: built in 1929 and intended as a miniature version of the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. (Since I don't know what the Plaza in Kansas City looks like, I have no idea if they achieved their goal.) The Paseo has an arts festival every Memorial Day weekend. We can now cross that off the list of things to do. I cannot say that enjoyed this festival immensely. It was nice to be out and about and people watching. There was a great kid's section where Collin and Katie made sock puppets, made something out of clay and then did some spin painting.


For our family this event gets "no stars". It's fine to do once and everyone should probably go walk through the old neighborhood.

6 comments:

Kayla said...

No stars?! Free sock puppets, spin art, and clay time is no stars?!?! I would give it at least 1 star! Unless you had to wait in a huge line...

Alyssa said...

Was the no stars harsh? I'm a tough critic for my travel book, eh? No huge line...ok...for you Kayla...1 star. :)

Anonymous said...

The rhetoric teacher in me would like you to clarify your star rating --

is it on a 5 star scale (like restaurants and movies) so that no stars means it was really bad,

or

is is like Frommer's -- no stars means its okay, one star good and two stars great

or

is it an Alyssa system?

Sounds fun!! ;)

Boswell Buzz said...

Good to know. We were thinking about going, and did not get to it. I used to like going to a coffee shop in Passeo when I was in High school. I think it would be fun to go on a date night with Jeremy, and see if it is still fun--live music...

Catherine said...

Yeah, I've often wondered... So, good to know. Thanks for finding out for the rest of us. Although, having read Laura's comment, I'd like you to answer her query. :-)

Alyssa said...

I am going the Frommer's route - because I want them to publish my travel book. So this is the system: Zero stars=recommended. 1*=highly recommended. 2**=very highly recommended. 3***=must see!