Monday, June 13, 2011

White River Youth Camp - my old stomping grounds

- located in West Texas, near Spur, near Post, near White River Lake. White River Youth Camp had a 40 year reunion and we were invited to attend! This is where I was a camper from 5th-10th grade, where Matt and I were both counselors in college for 2 years each, and where Matt was the director for 2 years.
Pulled out of the archives...my old 1996 sweatshirt. This was not pulled out of my archives mind you, I tend to not wear clothing with dates on them. My old sweatshirt was found in a fellow staff members closet.

The wall of camp t-shirts. Now this camp is 5 weeks long. During the month of July. In West Texas. It's blazing hot. 1996 was the first year we got to wear shorts during the day time. After 5:00 it was jeans only. I forgot to ask someone if that was still the rule.

This one....a classic. Matt designed it for his first year as director. Later we learned that many schools in the surrounding areas had BANNED these shirts from schools saying they were "suggestive".

Jarita Moses and Matt. Jarita inspired one of Matt's silly songs, "Spunky Cold Jarita" off of the Tone Loc song "Funky Cold Medina". You all remember Tone Loc, right?

So for the past 15 years WRYC has been selling some spunky cold Jarita's at the trading post. We thought they just did it that one year. Apparently they are a big hit!

Here are the wonderful accomodations at WRYC. And I DID sleep in these tents for 5 years as a camper and 2 years as a counselor. When Matt was a director, we got to sleep in the air-conditioned Bank!

So here is Western Street at camp. Each building was donated by a church in the West Texas area and is used by camp for different activities. Opry House - stage for talent show, Doc Bozeman - nurse's office and her house; Acuff Hotel - house for teachers; ??? another building I don't remember the name - house for cooks; Bank - house for directors; and the Jail - just for funsies!

So this camp is where Matt first started writing his silly songs. Every Monday night around the campfire each tent would perform a song. So as a counselor and a director he came up with some famous ones. For the reunion they asked if Matt could sing some of his songs. And he has managed to incorporate his talent for silly song writing every place we've been. WRYC - check; Houston - check; Tallahassee - check; and even Edmond - check!

This night they honored the past directors from 1971 until 2011. We were so happy to have played a small part in the camp. Such fun, fun times and such wonderful memories!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Man! We've GOT to talk camp sometime! (Or Kamp to me, from Kamp Koinonia.) I had no idea Matt had been a director. Granted, you will have WAY better "war with the heat" stories than I. But still.... fun topic of conversation.

Kayla said...

you all sleep and get dressed in those tents where bugs can get you and people can see inside??? Surely I'm not comprehending this correctly??

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I had no idea but Dan & I did that stuff too, in the pre-kids era! Neat that you guys started some traditions there!

Alyssa said...

Kayla - well, you roll the tent flaps down to get dressed and no one sees inside. But yes, bugs, they are there.

The Houston's said...

I loved this post!! I have fond memories of his silly songs from my high school years!!