Tuesday, June 1, 2010

National Civil Rights Museum; dining in an old trolley car; Walking in Memphis

Everyone ready for a little history lesson? Let me just say that the visit to this museum sparked MANY questions about "light and dark skin", why people today STILL murder (Katie thought it only happened with Cain and Able) and why it's important to learn about history.
The spot right outside room 306 where Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot and killed.

The hotel has now been turned into this museum.


Very interesting, moving, sad, educational all in one.
Where can you dine in an old trolley car? The chain restaurant Spaghetti Warehouse. I have never been to the one in OKC, but if they have an old trolley car we'll be there soon. How fun!



A side note: Jackson has eaten carrots, peas, green beans, sweet potatoes and squash. This week we are on squash and the boy does NOT like them! Favorites so far: carrots and sweet potatoes!

We don't own any blue suede shoes but here we go walking...

to the famed Beale Street.

I don't have a clue who sings the song "Walking in Memphis" but I haven't stopped singing that song since we arrived. And I always mess up the lyrics but it is still such a catchy tune.
Had our first Elvis sighting today! He's staying at our hotel and ate breakfast just 2 tables away. Wish I had had my camera.

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I was born there! Have fun!