Wednesday, March 30, 2011
A Jackson Diet Update...
The meeting with the dietician was a huge success! First of all, I gained a little perspective. I walked into Children's Hospital with a generally healthy boy. I passed by moms pushing their kids in wheelchairs, moms holding their babies and crying, families huddled together and I gained some perspective. April had already spent some time on Jackson's case I could tell. I didn't feel like I was starting a square 1 with her. We weighed and measured Jackson. Then my mom took Jackson on a walk so I could concentrate. So to sum up a 2 hour meeting...here is the plan.... Take polyvisol vitamin. Increase Rice milk from 2 8 oz servings to 3, but do not go over. Drink calcium fortified juices. Add 1 T of oil/day to foods. Take Jackson off wheat. She taught me how to read labels, something I thought I could do but learned so much from her. Did you know SPELT was WHEAT? Me neither. Did you know marshmallows are basically made of sugar but most brands but a little egg white on them to make them shiny? Me neither. Did you know there is Rice Pasta? Me neither. So, all in all, I learned so much! I'm so glad we saw her. And we will continue to see her every 8 weeks to chart his progress until he gets back on the growth chart (he currently sits at less than 5%). In just 2 days time Jackson is less itch/rashy (no wheat or mystery marshmallows)! And at the pediatrician's office today (she gave her stamp of approval to the plan) he weighed 21 pounds and 11 ounces!! We are on the right track! Thank you for your kind words, emails, Bible verses, hugs in the hall, recipes, product searching, etc, etc, etc. I am blessed to call you all friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Great news! Don't you love learning those fun new things?! I know the circumstances are that fun, but it in general helps the whole family out with knowing what is in our foods! Hope he keeps doing well!
sorry...aren't that fun...
So glad you have some good advice to go by! You are definitely on the right track. YAY!
That is great!!! Yes, being at a children's hospital really does put things into perspective. Glad you learned so much!
Thanks for the update! I wanted to ask you more about it today, but obviously the timing at SSS isn't always good. Praise God for the growing boy and more info about how to help him!
Glad you found some who can help out Jackson.
What a long road you've been on! I am so glad you have a good plan. I enjoyed learning all the new things when I went GF, although it can be a bit overwhelming too! I pray that things will just get easier for you and that Jackson will thrive!
Post a Comment