Saturday, March 26, 2011

What I have learned in the past 7 months

it's not much...but here is what I now know...

to replace butter/margarine/shortening: 1/2 butter = 1/3 c. canola oil

Jackson friendly tortillas: Rudy's organic spelt tortillas

to replace eggs: use Ener-G Egg Replacer + a little applesauce or canned pumpkin

there is a magazine out there for people with food allergies: Living Without - I've got it ordered.

There is a theory out there that you can "cure" food allergies by sealing and healing the gut by eating probiotics and avoiding all allergic food.

There is another theory that you can "lose" your food allergy by Acupressure.

I'm not above trying either of these theories out...with allergist approval though.

Enjoy Life makes Jackson friendly chocolate chips!

IAN'S brand makes fish sticks, corn dog nuggets, chicken nuggets and french toast sticks in the Jackson friendly variety. He likes none of them.

Whole Foods is coming to our town and I suspect that half my paycheck will go there.

Here are Jackson's allergy numbers...and the KEY to read them.
KEY:
less than .35 absent/undetectable
.35-.70 low positive
.71-3.50 moderate level
3.51-17.5 high level
17.6 - 50 very high level
51-100 very high level
greater than 100 very high level

JACKSON
green bean less than .35
rice less than .35 (this just in!!! YAY!!)
pecan less than .35
sunflower seed .59
english walnut .97
wheat 1.58
pea 4.56
sesame seed 4.59
soybean 6.06
almond 10.80
egg yolk 14.90
cashew nut 25.00
milk 35.10
peanut 43.50
egg white 97.60
There are some blood test numbers that didn't show in his mailed report. I'm guessing all those fell into the "undetectable" column.

Katie, Jackson and I are headed to Dallas tomorrow to meet my mom and stay with my sister. We will have the BIG dietician appointment Monday morning. I'm really excited! We will celebrate all our new knowledge by having lunch at the Purple Cow, shopping at Whole Foods and then heading home. I'm so thankful that my mom will take off work from her busy job to come listen to the dietician with me. I'm also very thankful for my sister, brother-in-law James, nephew Chandler (who will keep Katie busy) and baby Grayson for letting us stay over, letting Katie come to play, and then driving into Dallas just to celebrate with us at the Purple Cow. Yes, we are planning a celebration. It's a celebration of a PLAN. A plan to gain weight, a plan to be healthy and grow, a plan to help me with grocery shopping!

11 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I love your Dallas plan...when life gives you lemons...I am thinking Jackson is a very, very blessed little boy to have parents and family that cares so much for him. You are one terrific mom!

Kayla said...

I'm not sure what all you plan at getting at whole foods, but check out azurestandard.com You can order things from that website, and get it in bulk and it's cheaper. Their drop off point is MRCC once a month on a Monday. It may be cheaper, but I don't know what all you need. Also, I prefer coconut oil as a substitute for butter. It's much healthier than canola oil if you want to try it out!! Unless he's allergic of course.

Kayla said...

Just checked and azurestandard has Rudi's organic spelt tortillas. Don't know if its any cheaper than where you find them though, but worth a check!

Anonymous said...

Yea for plans! And yea for moms and sisters! And yea for rice less than .35!

Marilyn said...

I'm praying for a productive meeting Monday! What a blessed little boy Jackson is!

Summer said...

I CAN't WAIT to hear how it goes. Good luck.. I"m excited for all of you!

Those Precious Few said...

Yea! You got in, in March! Hope it goes well, and that you keep learning lots. I'm excited to hear about what you learn in Dallas. Way to go mama!

Catherine said...

Praying for lots of good info! Enjoy your celebration -- what's the Purple Cow? Sorry I forgot to check coupon deals for you at Whole Foods. Can't wait to hear results!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Good luck with the diet person.

My grandad had accupuncture to stop smoking. I think he had been smoke free for 10 years before he passed away, after doing the accupuncture.

Anonymous said...

Anxiously awaiting our chat in the morning! Hugs!

The Lady in Pred said...

Alyssa,
Scrolling through some blogs and hit on yours! Sounds like you guys have been through it, and I had no idea! So sorry. Not all the same here, but we have some things in common. Hannah has quite a few food allergies, Alec is celiac, and none of the kids eat gluten. I will be praying for you. I'm not great at keeping up my blog, but I am in the neighborhood :)
Sherry B.