Friday, January 16, 2009

Mack and Swirl

Since June of 2008, Collin has been praying for a dog, specifically a Saint Bernard. This fall, Matt and Collin began reading Where the Red Fern Grows. Collin loved the book. I didn't want any part of reading the book. I read it once when I was 10 and that was good enough for me. So for Christmas, Collin asked Santa Clause for a Saint Bernard. And...well...um...Santa brought 2 dogs, a brother and a sister, just like in the book. Collin thought he would name them Old Dan and Little Ann just like in the book and he wants to carve their initials in our tree in the backyard, just like in the book. We have not taken a knife to the tree yet.
But they are named Mack and Swirl. Mack is the brother. He is bigger and calmer. Swirl is the sister and her fur is super soft. She is very independent and she plays a little rough with Mack. We think their personalities are a little like Collin and Katie. Today I bought the dogs a heat lamp to keep them warm on our frigid Oklahoma nights. However, before spending their first night with the lamp, they chewed through the cord!!! Thought that would make you laugh Serena and Momma and Daddy!!

Mack and Swirl are not very good picture takers. They will never look into the camera and hold still. And forget about getting pictures of Collin, Katie, Mack and Swirl together. Hasn't happened yet. Now you have met the new additions to our family. And by the way, they are really mutts with some Saint Bernard in them, but we call them Saint Bernards.



3 comments:

Lisa said...

Alyssa! I just found your blog!! I didn't know you've had one since Sept!!! Shame on me for not finding you earlier!! I'm adding you to my reader list! Yay...another blog to read!

Serena said...

Thanks for, finally, posting the pictures of the pups! :) I have to say I'm not surprised about the cord (guess I should have warned you), and don't be surprised if you come across more things chewed up!! Mack and Swirl are BIG and beautiful it will certainly be interesting and fun having them here over the summer.

kj said...

I love you, but you're nuts! Two puppies....big puppies at the same time! Girl!!!!! I've been praying for you ever since I heard the news. ; )