We left our hotel early to take a subway down to Battery Park to get on a ferry. I must say that we are getting to be pretty savvy subway riders. It was a cold, cold morning. The line to the statue cruise was SO long. But thanks to my planning ahead we showed our prepurchased tickets and suddenly we were in the Fast Pass line for the ferry. Yea! (By the way, you should totally buy your tickets ahead of time and get the "Monument Pass" so you can go up inside the base of the statue and spring for the audio tour - it's worth it.)
Here we are on the ferry. It started to snow while we waited to head to the stateu so they made us move inside. But had it been a clear day I wanted to video us riding out to the statue.
I wish I could say I teared up somewhat at seeing the statue. I teared up when I saw Cinderella's Castle for the first time, when I saw Hayley Mills perform on stage in "The King and I" and even when I saw the Grand Canyon as an adult, but I did not shed a tear for our Lady Liberty. And I can only guess that my body said "Do not cry. It is too cold." As it was a whopping 1 degree out on the island!!
Matt and the snow and the statue base.
Me and Lady Liberty. I cannot feel my toes or the tips of my fingers in this picture.
After taking the Monument tour of the statue, we took the ferry over to Ellis Island. That also was a great place to visit and the audio tour was worth the extra money.
We concluded our day by walking around the financial district. Here is Federal Hall. I think this is where George Washington was inaugurated. Shhh, don't tell Matt I can't remember what happened here. He doesn't read my blog.
Here is the NY Stock Exchange. This whole area is really pretty and had it not been for the bitter, bitter wind I would have loved to stroll these streets and take in everything.
Last thing we saw before getting back on the subway was Ground Zero. They are in the process of turning it into the Freedom Memorial. It's hard to tell if they are building or still cleaning up, but I definately want to come back here when it is all finished.
Do you remember where you were when this happened? I was teaching my math lesson to my second graders in Crawfordville, FL. I was told that a bomb went off in the World Trade Center and that Tallahassee was shutting down to protect the presidents brother. I got to turn on the news at about 1:30 that afternoon while my kids were at PE and catch up to what really happened. Matt was in class at Florida State that day and they sent everyone home at about 10:30 and then closed the school for the day. While I can't say I was excited to see this site, I'm glad I did.
We did NOT spend New Year's Eve in Times Square. We walked through Times Square on the 30th and we were shoulder to shoulder with people then and it was crazy. I knew someone could totally get trampled. So at about 7ish on New Years Eve we went to our hotel which is at 7th Avenue and 53th St. That is one block east and I think 3 blocks north of Times Square. Well, the crowds were already backed up to the front of our hotel!! We rang in the New Year snug and warm in our hotel and could see the ball drop from our window (or TV). The crowds were SO loud that it seemed like were counting down next door and we are on the 20th floor.
Ok, enough bloggin today. Matt is out of his conference now and we are headed out to eat some dinner. Happy New Year!
2 comments:
WOW!! Sounds like a FUN trip!!! What a great way to celebrate! I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your time! Congrats on 13 years!
So fun! no doubt your lack of emotion was due to being frozen solid! Makes me cold looking at your pictures but looks like you're having a great time anyway! How cool to see the ball drop from your hotel window!
Post a Comment