Sunday, January 4, 2009

New York City - Day 6

We worshipped with the Manhattan Church of Christ this morning. Burton Coffman, uncle of our great friend David Coffman, started this congregation. So we were really excited to go here today. I was also thrilled, yes thrilled, to see Lester Holt of the Today Show at church this morning. I was stalking, no waiting, to meet him after services but HELIO swept in front of him to meet us and Lester walked on by. Alas...I did not get to meet Lester Holt.We did however run into Bailey and Joyce McBride at church today. They are members of our congregation in Edmond and he also teaches at OC with Matt. They were in town to see the Van Goghs at the MoMA. We were so surprised to see them but what fun it was.
Matt is attending one last session while I blog in the hotel lobby. We are then heading to the airport to fly back to Lubbock and drive to Post to pick up our kiddos. Then tomorrow we will head back to OKC and our real life. Thanks for following us on our fantastic trip.



7 comments:

Serena said...

So, you did get to "see" a celebrity after all! :) What a fun trip, thanks for sharing with all of your faithful blog readers.

Laura said...

I wish that it had dawned on me that you were going to church there -- the father of a student that bill and I are really fond of is the preacher there, and Thomas (the student) might have been there as well, since it's Christmas break.

Glad you're back with your kids, and that you get to sleep in your own bed soon.

Gena said...

Burton Coffman married my Grandparents and also did my Pa-Pa's funeral when he died. He was a special man. My Dad's quick to remind me that Lester is a member of the C of C every time we see him on the Today show. I didn't figure he actually went to church there, though.

Gene said...

Hi. I'm Gena's dad. My Mom and Dad were good friends of Burton and Sissy, and when I was very young, my Mom and Dad, my sister and my two brothers and I all got to hear Burton every week at the Central church of Christ in Houston, TX. Burton did marry them on 2/28/37, and Mom and Dad remained close friends after that, till Dad died and Mom got Alzheimer's. Burton and Sissy were special people. I well rememher when they started the Manhattan church of Christ. I treasure the Coffman commentaries that Burton signed for me, with some very special notes in some of the volumes.

I'm glad you got to visit the congregation. Sorry you missed meeting Lester Holt. He's a wonderful man!

Jenny Rizer said...

Looks like ya'll had lots of fun! That's cool about Lester Holt....makes me respect him even more! :) Is your ankle okay?

Anonymous said...

I just got caught-up on your trip. I never imagined you would be blogging WHILE you were traveling. Very dedicated. I can't wait to hear more. I never thought about how cold it might be, or that it was New Year's Eve in New York. It makes me glad that we don't live in CT this winter!
I'm off to shower, walk the dog, and then sub for the afternoon as an aid.
I hope your ankle is okay!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I had fun looking at your nyc posts - we did that with the family in August! How funny to meet up with the McBrides at church!