Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let's Explore Oklahoma: Part 3

In this part our family explores the Oklahoma History Center right here in OKC. Since husband is a history professor I'm actually kinda shocked that we've never been here before. But since it's about Oklahoma history and he teaches American history, well, that's our excuse. This day was family day at the museum. They had a craft, coloring station and costume station out for kids to enjoy. Here Collin and Katie are making lanterns out of tin cans.
We had lunch at the yummy Winnie Mae cafe on site. Delicious food. Great scenery to enjoy. An all around good time.
Here is the Winnie Mae. This is Mr. Wiley Post's airplane. Now Wiley Post flew around the world in this airplane (this is a reproduction...the real one is in Washington, DC) I believe in the 1930s. And apparently did it in record time. Later Wiley Post and Will Rogers would die in a plane crash. Our 2 airports in OKC are named for them both.
The set of Hee Haw was on traveling exhibit at the history center.
And an exhibit on comic books and superheroes.
This may shock some of you...history is not my favorite subject. But I am loving learning all this stuff about Oklahoma with my little project this summer. This museum frequently has "family days" where the adults pay to get in and the kids are FREE. In a portion of the museum you can see Land Run material, a sod house, a 1930s kitchen and a 1950s kitchen (my favorite exhibit) and learn about the history of our Oklahoma schools. We also learned that SONIC is MIO, along with the parking meter and the grocery cart. Bless that man who invented the grocery cart. All in all, very impressed with the building, cafe and exhibits here at the museum. Would definitely take my kids back for more. Being Okies, they are really going to need to know this stuff.
4 stars.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Okay, WHAT!?!? Where IS this place? I've never even heard of it! (You probably told me and I forgot, what with my brain not workin' so good lately!) You need to tell me again the name of that book! I gotta get me one!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

My mother keeps telling me I need to go and visit...supposedly it is a HUGE improvement over what we used to have!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Great museum. I have been to the previous one and the new one.

Bill has often commented on how both of our airports have been named after men that were killed in plane crashes.

Kayla said...

Sounds interesting!!! We have lived here for several years and still haven't even gone to Frontier City. We so fail at exploring OK but I'm starting to get inspired.

Marilyn said...

I just got caught up & you've been keeping yourselves busy! Hope your face/neck/scalp/body is healing & back to normal now too! So sorry to read about that :-(